8 June 2019

Twenty One Things I Learned Being 21

I don't know about you, but I'm feeling twenty twoooo!

Well, not quite yet.
Tomorrow, I welcome in my twenty-second year of life. Twenty-two sounds so old, especially considering I sat my GCSE's six years ago. I suppose it's not all bad though, I can play Taylor Swift on repeat for a whole year and you have no idea how long I've waited to do that.

If you're new here, welcome to the yearly tradition on my blog where I tell you about some of the things I've learned in this past year. Normally I'd sit here and joke about how I've achieved nothing but twenty-one has been so kind to me. It's been a year of success, love and a lot of life lessons. I'm a Creative Writing GRADUATE (!?!), I'm the most confident I've ever been and most importantly, I'm happy.

So without further ado, here are twenty-one things I've learned in my twenty-first year.

1. No Response Is A Response

I've learned this lesson in two ways. The first is that no one is ever too busy - if they care they'll make time. The second is that you don't need to rise to an argument, sometimes it's okay not to have the last word.

2. I really like tea

I've always been a coffee kind of girl but since having afternoon tea at Kensington Palace, I'm becoming quite the tea drinker. 

3. Not Everyone has the same Heart as you

Just because you have respect for someone doesn't mean they have the same respect for you. It's a hard pill to swallow but it's okay, as long as you continue to have courage and be kind. 

4. Graduation is Amazing

Twenty-one saw me finally graduate from University and, not that I bang on about it much, it truly was the proudest, most overwhelming day of my life. I'd like to go and do it all again, please.

5. Hard Work Pays Off

Moving on nicely from my last point, hard work really does pay off. I wouldn't have been stood there in my cap and gown if it wasn't for the sleepless nights, 15 hour days in the library and the support of my family and friends. 

6. I actually don't mind the Gym

This year I invested in a gym membership, much to the surprise of pretty much everyone I know. I was the least sporty kid at school - the one who'd fake every injury possible to get out of doing sport, but *gasp* the gym really isn't that bad. In fact, it's improved my mood so much, I actually look forward to going - who'd have thought it?! I'm a changed woman.

7. Long Distance is hard

I've done my fair share of dating this year and found myself meeting someone who I really fell for. There was just one issue; a three-hour distance between us. We tried to make it work but it was too hard. The late night phone calls, movie dates over face time and long text messages; it was all cute but we both missed that personal connection. It's sad it didn't work out. 

8. There isn't a mood that Take That can't fix

Seriously, if you're feeling down, wack a bit of Take That's Greatest Hits on Spotify (my personal favourite is Everything Changes) and I guarantee you'll be feeling better in no time. It's a great way to start the day. 


9. I love Disneyland Paris at Christmas 

Okay, I love Disneyland Paris anyway but being able to visit during the festive period was the most magical experience of my life. What more could you want than walking down Main Street in the snow? I just loved it. 

10. If someone is meant to be in your life they will find a way back to you

No matter how far they wander. 

11. Bongo's Bingo is next level

I went to my first Bongo's Bingo in March and I loved every second, what better way to spend a Saturday night than stood on a table singing to the Vengaboys? Seriously, I've never experienced anything like it. I loved it so much I'm going again in August and I cannot wait!

12. Honesty and Communication are so Important

Especially in relationships. A lack of honesty and communication leads to mixed signals, trust issues and people getting hurt. Sure I've experienced love this year but I've had my fair share of heartache too. 

13. Flat Shoes on a Night out are Ultimate Comfort

Don't get me wrong, I love dressing up in heels for a night out with the girls but flats are my go-to now. I can dance all night without my feet hurting - where has this miracle trend been all my life!?

14. The London Underground really isn't that Bad

Twenty-one saw me conquer my lifelong fear of the London Underground and now, I'm on and off that tube like nobodies business. I've taken many trips to London this year and I've loved every single one of them. I couldn't live in London though, it's far too busy for me.

15. I want to Travel

There's a whole wide world out there and I want to see it. In the words of Belle, 'I want adventure in the great wide somewhere.' 

16. I get offended when I don't get asked for ID

What? You're telling me I don't look like I'm eighteen anymore? My youth is leaving me behind!!! 

17. Older doesn't necessarily mean wiser

The majority of people are under the impression that if they're older than you, they know more than you. I'm afraid this isn't always the case - don't be made to feel unintelligent just because someone is older (chances are, you probably know more than them anyway). Always be willing to learn. 

18. Psychic readings are fascinating

I know some of you will be sceptical about this sort of thing but I am fascinated. I went for my first psychic reading a few weeks ago and was blown away by the accuracy of the things I was told. The reading brought a lot of clarity and peace into my life and I'm going to go for another reading done soon. 

19. Let it come and Let it go

One of the main messages from the reading was to let things come and let things go. I'm applying this to most things in life but in particular, relationships. I'm done fighting for things that no longer serve a purpose in my life, it's both physically and mentally exhausting. 

20. Ice Cream is the ultimate hangover cure

Don't worry, you can thank me later. 

21. Trust in the Universe 

Since graduation, I've been feeling a bit lost. I don't know where my life is headed and as someone who likes to be in control, that really stresses me out. However, I'm a firm believer that my life is planned and I'm learning to trust in this. Opportunities will present themselves when the time is right, I've just got to have some faith. 

I'm so excited to see what adventures twenty-two has waiting for me and I can't wait to celebrate tomorrow with the people who mean the most. 

I suppose everything will be alright if we just keep dancing like we're twenty-two!

Lots of Love,
Meg x













SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig