2 April 2020

How I'm Trying To Stay Positive

I'm sure you'll agree that life is a little different right now. I know you don't need to be reminded about the uncertain times we're living in but that makes it all the more important to look after your brain as well as your body.

Let's be honest, it's a bit of a rubbish situation isn't it? Not being able to see my friends is driving me mad, I miss the routine of going to work every day and I already can't wait to give my grandma and grandad the biggest squeeze when all of this is over.

Does anyone else think it feels like a really bad dream? I haven't a clue what day it is, I've eaten everything in the fridge and my biggest excitement in life is going for my thirty minute sunset walk in the evenings.

Mental Health issues will be at an all time high right now and it's super important that we're checking up on ourselves as well as others and talking about our feelings. I'm not going to lie, when I first heard about all of this, the thought of being stuck with my own thoughts for a long period of time absolutely terrified me; I knew it would lead to overthinking, dwelling on past situations and generally feeling down.

Then I realised that this whole negative outlook needed to stop. The way to mentally get through this situation was to change my perspective. That being said, I'm going to share some of the ways I'm trying to remain positive in order to spread a little sunshine, keep myself sane and hopefully help some of you guys out too!

Try And Stick to a Routine 

The temptation to lie in is so real, trust me I get it. But trying to stick to a routine is so important! I've still got my work alarm set so I'm waking up early at least five days a week and it's actually helping me to make my days more productive which in turn is making me feel good about myself. I don't want to get into the habit of lazing about because it'll be a huge shock to the system when we all eventually have to go back to work!

Changing My Perspective

I briefly touched on this before, but changing my perspective on this situation has been vital in helping me to maintain a positive mindset. I've seen so many people posting on social media that '2020 is cancelled' and '2020 is an awful year'. No it isn't. Granted, it's been a bit of a rubbish few months but do not let that define the rest of your year! 

Instead of focusing on the negative side of things, I decided to see this as a fresh start; a chance to re-invent myself, to get comfortable in my own company, to try a new hobby, learn a new skill, read a new book and give my mind/body the time and love it deserves. Also, space out tasks so you're not doing everything in one go! 

Get Outside and do Exercise

Okay, I know exercise doesn't appeal to everyone but your mood can benefit from it, no matter the workout intensity or physical activity. Exercise increases the production of endorphins and serotonin which are basically happy hormones, helping to produce positive feelings and relieve feelings of depression. I'm really missing my weekly gym classes, so I workout at least three to four mornings a week and I can't even begin to tell you how much it boosts my mood! 

The Government are also allowing us to get outside for an hour of exercise a day and as long as you're following the strict two metre guidelines, this is something I highly recommend. Being cooped up in four walls will play havoc with your mind; so whether it be for a walk, a run or a bike ride, get some fresh air and a change of scenery. I take the dog for a walk every evening and I really look forward to it, it helps to clear my head and relieve some boredom. 

Make Time To Do The Things You Love 

I'm fortunate that I don't have to work from home as I usually work in retail. This means I've got more time on my hands to do the things that I love; whether that be watching my favourite series, doing a self-care day or playing on sims til the early hours. It's all about finding balance and listening to what your mind and body needs. 

Be Grateful

I wish I could put this in big bold letters with flashing lights because it is SO IMPORTANT! Yes, I know it's not a great situation right now but that doesn't mean there's not amazing things happening everyday. I've got myself a little notebook and each day I write down three things that I'm grateful for. It's making me realise that it's the little things we need to be grateful for right now. 

If anything, this is proving that the things our lives revolve around are so temporary; work, gym, shopping, restaurants, pubs, clubs...we're learning to live our lives without them. In the end, it's your own home and your family that keeps you safe. We've got so much to be grateful for! 

Listen To Music

Top tip for instantly boosting your mood: create a playlist of your favourite songs, play it at full volume, throw on your comfiest clothes and dance around the room like no one's watching. It's true what they say, music really is the best therapy! 

Get Creative 

Getting creative is the perfect pass time for these long days in lockdown; whether that be starting a writing project, playing an instrument, doing some baking, colouring in, building a house on Sims or making your own little scrapbook. You have all the time in the world right now, do all that stuff that you moan about never having the time to do. Let your mind escape this chaos for a little while! 

It's Okay To Feel Down

I know I'm preaching positivity right now but you can't be positive all the time in these situations, it's physically and mentally impossible. Eventually, it's going to get to all of us in its own little way and it's okay to cry it out, in fact you'll probably feel better for it. Just try not to dwell on these feelings for longer than necessary, speak to someone or do something that you love to escape for a little while. Just think, every day is one day closer to normality. 

FaceTime Your Pals

What would we ever do without FaceTime? We can't see our pals so make some time to FaceTime or call them, even if it's only for an hour. Make sure that you're checking on each other, talking about how you're feeling but also, make sure that you're having a laugh! Yes, it's rubbish that you can't physically see each other or nip for a few cocktails, but you can keep in contact and speak everyday. I told you, it's all about perspective! 

I know that these times can be incredibly lonely but so many people are doing livestreams, group chats and even hosting quizzes and game shows online. I'm always tuning into the Bongos Bingo Livestreams and they cheer me up so much - that's another thing I don't think I'd be getting through this lockdown without. They go live every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at 8pm and seriously, just watch it. They'll have you dancing round the room and put you in the best mood, I promise!  

Have Faith That This Wont Last Forever

Because it really won't. 
Everything about this situation; the feelings, the lockdown, the boredom are all so temporary. We'll be back to normal quicker than we know it but in the mean time, just think about that first restaurant you're going to visit, that first shopping trip, that first trip to the beach, that first reunion with your friends and family. We've got all that to come and it's so damn exciting to think about. If the whole positivity thing doesn't work for you, then please just let those thoughts give you a little glimmer of hope! 

I hope that this has perhaps brightened your day a little and given you some ways that you can add a little positivity into your day. Remember to stay safe, be kind and look after yourselves. Also, let me know three things that you're grateful for in the comments! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x









SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig