23 May 2021

Driving Diaries: I Bought A Car!

It's been a while since I updated you on my mission to pass my driving test as an anxious driver, and if you've been following along with my journey then you'll probably wonder where I've been. Truth is, I haven't really had much to update you on. Another two lockdowns saw both lessons AND tests cancelled so in short, I'm still learning and impatiently waiting to take my driving test. 

However it's not all doom and gloom, I'm now the proud owner of the cutest little red Nissan Micra. I've called her Minnie (I had to get Disney in there somewhere) and I absolutely love being able to drive her round and get some practice outside of lesson time. 

How Have Lessons Been Going? 

Okay, I never thought I'd ever say this but I really missed my driving lessons whilst we were in lockdown. They've been going really well and in September I was told that I was ready to book my test! I still get nervous before every lesson but as soon as I set foot in the car, it all comes flooding back to me - learning to drive really is like riding a bike, it's just something that you never forget. 

We've now got to a point where I can drive, I just need Boris to be kind and stop cancelling tests. My lessons have gone down to an hour per week and now consist of me driving round, doing a few parallel parks and having a good ol' chat to my instructor. 

It really is amazing to see my progress over this past year, especially with all the hurdles that 2020 threw at us. As someone who was terrified to even sit in the drivers seat of a car, it amazes me that I'm now driving around and actually feeling confident in my ability to be in control of a moving vehicle. I come back every week, look at my instructors car and think; I've literally drove that thing for an hour and everyone is safe. It baffles me, it really does. 

Conquering My Fear Of Roundabouts

Roundabouts make me nervous. It was the one thing I was dreading about learning to drive; I'd already planned all my routes so that no roundabouts would be encountered. I made my instructor aware of my fear of the circular hell holes and she left them as the very last thing to teach me. If I'm correct, I was about to start on roundabouts when I last updated you! 

I remember my instructor telling me about lane discipline on a roundabout, then she went on to show me the roundabouts I'd be starting off on - she called them the 'easy' ones. Yep, you guessed it, they weren't easy at all! I think the first time I went round them, I held my breath. On my second session, I was driving at rush hour and I became so overwhelmed by the volume of traffic (not to mention my glasses steaming up because of my mask) I literally felt as though I wanted to cry. 

However, I didn't give up as I was determined to conquer my fear. I don't want to be scared of anything to do with driving. Thankfully, my instructor is so patient and I can't tell you how many times we've been round all the different roundabouts, but now I'm finally feeling confident. 

Okay, I still can't really work out when I should go and sometimes I drift into the wrong lane but I'm definitely not as terrified as I used to be - I no longer get worked up on the approach to a roundabout (sweaty palms, guaranteed!). Truth is, no one really loves roundabouts do they? We just have to deal with them. My advice? Don't give up and remember that nobody is perfect! 

Waiting For A Driving Test

As I previously said, in September my instructor told me that I was ready to book my driving test. However when lockdown struck, my first test in November was cancelled and rescheduled to March. This was then cancelled AGAIN due to a third lockdown, so now I'm playing the waiting game and it's incredibly frustrating. 

I'm literally in touching distance of getting my pink license and I can't tell you how disheartening it feels when you get that dreaded email telling you that your test has been 'postponed'. In all honesty, it just makes me want to give up. 

Luckily, I've still got a year left on my theory test certificate, but some unfortunate learners have had to pay to take their theory test again due to it expiring over lockdown. I could sit and rant to you all day about this because frankly, I don't think it's fair. The government should extend theory test certificates for those who have had a driving test cancelled in the past year, or at least pay for them to take a new test. 

Yes, I know what you're thinking; your theory knowledge needs to be up to date for you to take your practical driving test - I fully agree! But please explain to me why, when we've got our license, we never have to go near a theory test ever again? If the rules are changing as frequently as the government say they are then surely it should be mandatory for us all to take a theory test every few years? Or is this just one big money making scam to make learner drivers pay out more? At this moment, I think it is. 

Oh, and let's not get started on the backlog of learners waiting to take a test! 
At this moment the waiting list is currently three months long, and bizarrely those who have never had a test cancelled have been able to book their first test before someone like me has been rescheduled. 

Someone please just make it make sense!? 

Buying My First Car 

I know I touched on this briefly at the start but I just want to say it again; I BOUGHT MY FIRST CAR! 

It's true what they say, it really is one of the best and most rewarding feelings. I've got a little red Nissan Micra and she's wonderful. I don't know the first thing about cars and after looking at a few different models, I realised I'm the fussiest person ever! Either I didn't like the colour, the dashboard was too confusing or the engine was too noisy. 

My Mum told me that when I sat in the car that was meant for me, I'd get this overwhelming buzz of excitement and I'd 'just know'. As always, she was right. The minute I sat in that little Micra, I knew it was the car for me. It was everything I wanted, even the colour (which shocked me because I'd originally been looking for something blue!).

Driving your own car for the first time is such a weird experience because it's a shock to the system. As a learner, you get so used to driving your instructors car and then you get a car of your own and realise that every car is different. It feels as though you're back to square one and it can make you question your driving abilities; that's totally normal. Just keep practicing and you'll soon get the hang of it. Everyone feels weird when they drive a new car for the first time! 

Overall, I love my little Micra and driving her round is such a joy - I'm definitely more confident with her now. I highly recommend a Nissan Micra as a first car - they're so cute! 

So, That's The Update!

Hopefully next time I'm updating you, I'll be holding my blue pass certificate and my pink license will be on the way! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig