27 October 2019

Roaccutane: My Holy Grail Products


Receiving your prescription for roaccutane is one of the most exciting yet terrifying experiences. On the one hand you can't wait to start your journey towards clear skin and are over-joyed to have been prescribed a drug that could quite literally change your life. But at the same time there are a lot of horror stories out there because of the side effects.

Regardless of your feelings, there's a high chance that you're going to have to switch up your skincare routine. If you're anything like me you'll be in the process of doing your research to try and find the best products out there. It's looking expensive, right? Well it doesn't have to be.

I thought it'd be a good idea to compile a list of my favourite products that I used whilst taking Roaccutane. I tried to keep my skincare as simple as possible without breaking the bank so hopefully this will help some of you.

Moisturisers 


Roaccutane works by reducing oil production and shrinking oil glands which in turn causes dryness, not only of your skin but your lips and hair. It's a guaranteed side effect of the drug and although it can be frustrating at times, it's easily controlled.

It's important to invest in a good moisturiser for your skin type as taking roaccutane can make your skin very sensitive. I used four different moisturisers during my course, all of which were brilliant and I would highly recommend.

Simple Kind To Skin+ Moisturiser SPF30

If you've been reading my blog for a while you'll know that Simple are one of my favourite skincare brands and I've been using their products for years. I was using the Simple Kind to Skin+ Moisturiser before taking roaccutane and I continued to use it throughout my course. Not only is it perfect for even the most sensitive of skin types (it doesn't include any harsh chemicals) but it also provides instant hydration without clogging up your pores.

It also has a high SPF which is another important factor as roaccutane can make your skin incredibly sensitive to sunlight, even in the winter months. I used this as my daily moisturiser, applying it every morning after cleansing and it worked a treat.

La Roche Posay Effaclar H Moisturiser

La Roche Posay are the brand I recommend to everyone going through any kind of acne treatment, whether they're under the supervision of a dermatologist or trying to clear it up themselves.

The Effaclar H range is specifically formulated for oily skin that has become weakened by harsh, over-drying acne treatments including roaccutane. I used the Effaclar H Moisturiser each night before going to bed as it instantly soothed my dry, flaking skin without aggravating my blemishes. It's the one product I recommend to everyone and I don't think I could've got through my course without it. 

Cetaphil Daily Defence Moisturiser SPF50

I switched to using the Cetaphil Daily Defence Moisturiser in the summer months as it has a higher SPF and would therefore provide better protection for my skin when it was at its most sensitive. It's lightweight, easily absorbed and perfect for all skin types.

The Body Shop Body Butter 

It's important to remember that the rest of your body needs moisturising too as Roaccutane has been known to cause eczema and other skin conditions.

I absolutely adore The Body Shop's collection of body butters as they're rich and hydrating but don't leave you with that horrible sticky feeling. My current favourite, and the one I used throughout my course, is the Strawberry Body Butter - it smells absolutely delicious, a bit like calpol.

Cleansers


Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser 

A complete holy grail product! 

As I said, I tried to keep my skin care routine incredibly simple. I didn't want to overwhelm my skin with tonnes of different products, I just wanted to let the tablet work its magic.

I only used one cleanser and that was the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser for dry sensitive skin. It's the one product that everyone recommended when I was doing my skincare research and now I fully understand why. Not only is it gentle and soothing on the skin but it also helps to relieve the dryness caused by prescription skincare products. 

I'm still using this cleanser now and I stopped taking roaccutane just over four months ago. It's become a must-have in my daily skincare routine and I wouldn't be without it. 


Foundations 



Wearing make up is something my dermatologist recommended for me NOT to do however, my acne was so bad I knew I had to use something to give me a little confidence boost when I was going out. I trialled various different foundations but most tended to cling to dry patches or made me break out until I found this absolute life saver!

No7 Hydraluminous Moisturising Foundation

No7 are the make up brand I go back to time and time again, I know I can trust in their products and the staff are always so helpful. For the first few months, I used my trusty No7 Stay Perfect foundation which worked but when my skin started to dry out I knew I needed to change things up. 

I went to my local Boots store and asked the staff for recommendations on foundations that were lightweight, decent coverage and suitable for dry skin. This is when I was introduced to the No7 Hydraluminous moisturising foundation and it ticked all the boxes. 

It's lightweight, buildable coverage and doesn't cling to dry patches leaving skin visibly fresh, radiant and moisturised. It's also suitable for even the most sensitive of skin types (perfect for us lot on Roaccutane) and it has SPF15 which is always a bonus! 

Lip Balms


Another main side effect of taking roaccutane is your lips to becoming dry, chapped and sometimes bleeding. I experienced all of this and more, but it was the side effect that was most manageable. Trust me when I say, your house will be FULL of lip balms - you need one in every room, every handbag and every location, so I've narrowed down my top picks which helped me along the way.

Okeefe's Lip Repair 

The O'keefe's Lip Repair was my favourite lip product to use, especially towards the end of my course when my lips started to crack and bleed. It provides relief for extremely dry, cracked lips and immediately improves the feel, protecting against dryness all day. 

Blistex Intensive Moisturiser

I used Blistex every night before I went to bed because when I woke up in the mornings, my lips were so soft and smooth. I found that my lips were at their driest in the evenings and this worked an absolute treat! 

Carmex

Oh classic Carmex, you can never go wrong. 
It's the lip balm that every one recommends and I'm doing the exact same to you. It's perfect to keep in your bag or on your desk at work and it even has SPF15 - what more could you want?

Blistex Lip Brilliance

One of the things I hated about being on roaccutane was that wearing lipstick became a thing of the past, it made my lips so dry and ended up cracking after five minutes of application - not a good look. If you know me well, you'll know how much I love my lipsticks so I had to find a way around it. That's where Blistex Lip Brilliance comes in. 

This is a tinted lip balm with all the moisturising goodness of classic Blistex, just with an added tint to give your lips that rosy glow. It wasn't exactly the same as wearing my favourite Charlotte Tilbury dark lip but it filled in that lipstick shaped hole in my life. 

Burts Bees Natural Lip Balm 

It's another classic and a product I've used both on and off roaccutane. Although Burts Bees isn't as moisturising as other lip products, it's natural goodness leaves your lips feeling so soft and smooth. It's a definite handbag essential! 

Soap & Glory Wonderbalm 

Now, this isn't the exact product that I used (they've stopped making it, sob) but the Soap & Glory Wonderbalm does the same thing. Not only is it for your lips, it can also be used on your skin and hair to leave you feeling and looking a million dollars. 

So there you have it, my roaccutane holy grail products! 

I hope this post has helped to narrow down some of the best products on the market for those of you who are going to be taking roaccutane, are currently taking roaccutane, or even if you're just curious about what products work for dry skin and lips. 

If you have any questions about my experience on roaccutane or any of the products I used, you can message me on Instagram, Twitter or send me an email. Also, if you have any other product recommendations then leave them in the comments to help each other out! 

Lots of Love, 
Meg x




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig