8 March 2020

Driving Diaries: Progress, Car Shopping & Theory Test

Welcome to my Driving Diaries: an anxious girls mission to pass her driving test

Well, I've officially been learning to drive for two whole months. I know, I can't believe it either.

Since we last spoke I've finally mastered junctions, I'm becoming a pro at changing gears and last week I did 60mph down a dual carriageway whilst overtaking a funeral procession (cue that scene from the Inbetweeners). I'm finally starting to feel confident behind the wheel and it's all thanks to my instructor who literally has the patience of a saint.

It's not all been plain sailing though, I've had my fair share of run-ins with idiot drivers (the new bane of my life) and I've been this close to quitting on a few occasions, one being my second lesson when I kept stalling at junctions and couldn't pull the handbrake up far enough. I feel defeated when I can't do something for the first time but I keep reminding myself that I'm learning a new skill and perseverance is key - the worst thing I can do at this stage is give up.

I've had two major driving scares in this first two months; one when a van didn't see us and nearly drove into the side of the car, and the second when a DHL lorry was driving on the wrong side of the road at a ridiculous speed and I panicked. These really knocked my confidence but my instructor takes me back to the places where these incidents happened to make sure I'm not scared driving round those areas.

One thing I used to dread before learning to drive was changing gears. I didn't think I'd be able to change a gear and I struggled at first, but it's a skill that's improving week after week. I also dreaded stalling and the first time I stalled, I nearly cried. Then I realised that even the most professional drivers stall a car and the more I did it, the less it bothered me.

Nevertheless, I still dread every lesson and get so nervous beforehand. I quite literally have to psych myself up to get behind the wheel but once I'm driving I'm absolutely fine. It's mad how the basic skills are just applied in more complex situations.

The Theory Test

The first test I have to pass is my theory test and I already hate the damn thing. It feels like being back at school revising for an exam. It's literally an information overload and the answers are so contradicting. 

I've downloaded the best apps and I read over the highway code when I get a spare minute but I still haven't passed the multiple choice and the hazard perception at the same time on a mock test. I'm hoping to have booked in for my theory test by the end of the month, but somethings telling me that passing could take a little while. I'll keep you updated. 

Car Shopping

Another complicated thing about learning to drive is the weird and wonderful world of car shopping. As a twenty-two year old female who doesn't know the first thing about cars, this has been quite a whirlwind. 

Now, I know what you're thinking - 'Meg, you haven't passed yet. Why are you looking at cars?'

Well, it's always been the idea to buy a car before I pass my test. Firstly because I want to get some extra practice outside of lesson time and secondly because I want to get used to driving a different type of car. The car I'm learning in is a stop/start car but I also want to be comfortable driving (and stalling) a key start car. It's logical when you think about it. 

I've currently got my heart set on either a little Fiat 500 or a Citroen C1, both of which are cars I've wanted since I was 16. Thankfully, I've got my Mum and my friends sharing their knowledge and helping me find the best deal. Who knows, maybe next time I update you I'll have my own little car! 

So, that's the update! 

I'm moving on to manoeuvres next week which I should probably already have been doing, however my instructor wanted to build my confidence on the the actual driving skill first as I was incredibly anxious after the first few lessons, what with stalling and dealing with other idiots on the road. 

I'm already dreading reversing but like I said, I dread every lesson before I'm actually behind the wheel. Then the indicators are on and we're going! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig