25 January 2015

Book Review: Girl Online by Zoe Sugg (Zoella)

Hello!
So, if you read my previous blog post  you'll know that one of my new years resolutions for 2015 is to read more. My aim is to read at least one book a month and on my blog, I'll write a book review of the book I've read. Something helping me to read more is a website called 'Good Reads'. It allows you to look for new books, follow fellow book fans and rate/review different novels. On this particular app, I've set myself a reading challenge for 2015; you can sign up here and follow me here! Let me know if you guys have any reading challenges for this year! Anyways, today I'm going to be reviewing 'Girl Online' by Zoe Sugg, known to many as Zoella. 

Girl Online is the debut novel by online sensation Zoe Sugg, best known to many as Zoella. With over 5 million subscribers on YouTube and 2 million Twitter followers, the novel was destined to be a hit, and it didn't disappoint. 'Girl Online' follows 16 year old Penny, who owns an anonymous blog called 'Girl Online' where she writes about her hopes, dreams and the troubles going on in her everyday life. Penny suffers with anxiety and with the help of her best friend Elliot and the followers of her blog, she attempts to combat it by going to New York for a holiday with her Parents. It's on this holiday that she meets mysterious Noah Flynn, a guitar playing, floppy haired guy from Brooklyn. Penny falls in love with Noah blogging everything about her experience online, but little does she know that Noah is hiding a secret, a secret that could destroy her friendship and her anonymity forever.  

There has been so much controversy over 'Girl Online' with rumours that Zoe didn't actually write the book herself and that there was a 'Ghost Author' but regardless of this, it was one of the best books I have ever read. It's very rare for me to be able to read a book quickly but I read 'Girl Online' in approximately 3 days, I couldn't put it down. I ended up staying up until 3am reading, it was so hard to put down as the story was so intriguing. Penny is a character most girls can relate too, a clumsy young girl who struggles with relationships without making a fool out of herself. The book made me laugh out loud, some of the things Penny and Elliot get up too are absolutely hilarious.

It is clear that Zoe didn't write the whole book herself as it seems too professional, but it is evident that she has had a lot of input; the story has 'Zoella' written all over it. I know I've described Penny as a girl with social anxiety who suffers from panic attacks, but please don't think this is a replication of Zoe herself, this is nothing like that. When I first started the book, I thought that Penny was going to be based on Zoe but although they both have a blog and both suffer from anxiety, they couldn't be more different. I completely fell in love with Noah, I wish I could have a Noah of my own! The big secret Noah is hiding is quite obvious from the beginning (well it was for me) but the adorable ending really makes it all worth it and the suspense for him to reveal the secret to Penny is at times unbearable. 

Also, I really loved the front cover of the book. The fact Zoe got people involved to take photos for her to appear on the front of the novel was really lovely and the bright colours really made it appealing. As a viewer of Zoe's videos and a reader of her blog, I knew immediately that I couldn't wait to read 'Girl Online' and I seriously wasn't disappointed. 


Girl Online - Zoe Sugg
Rating: 5 Stars
Recommended: YES


What did you guys think of Girl Online?

Lots of Love,
Meg x


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig