20 January 2020

Driving Diaries: The First Lesson

A few months ago, I took the plunge and booked my very first driving lesson. At the grand old age of twenty-two I've finally decided that it's about time I get behind the wheel and learn to drive - much to the horror of pretty much everyone I know.

If you're a regular here, you'll know that I've been wanting to learn to drive for quite a few years now but just haven't gotten round to it. Trust me, the intention has been there and I could blame my lack of motivation on my busy schedule or the ever rising cost of driving, but the truth is I've been putting it off. And I've been doing this because I'm absolutely terrified.

The thought of being behind a wheel and in control of a moving vehicle sends my anxiety through the roof because not only am I putting myself in potential danger but other people too. I don't like that kind of responsibility. That being said, relying on public transport and late/cancelled trains has quickly become the bane of my life (Northern Rail, I'm looking at you) and I quite like the idea of having the freedom to go where I want, when I want.

So, now that I've taken the plunge and committed myself to a little blue Renault Clio, whom I'm naming Benny, I thought it'd be fun to document my driving experience on the blog for those of you who are scared/anxious about learning to drive or just curious about it.

Welcome to an anxious, northern girl's mission to pass her driving test.

My First Lesson 

When the text came through to confirm the time and date of my first lesson I was instantly filled with regret- what on earth have you done!? There were so many questions whizzing round in my head; what if I can't do it? What if I hate my instructor? What if my instructor hates me? Will she shout at me? What if I crash? The list was never ending. 

Luckily I had Christmas to take my mind off things and when the day of my first lesson rolled around I was surprisingly calm and a little bit excited. I had my lesson at 9:15 on a Wednesday morning for an hour and a half. 

What Happened?

My driving instructor picked me up outside my house, introduced herself and I made a point to let her know that I was nervous straight away. To my relief, she was lovely about it and drove me to a small, quiet, straight road just five minutes away. We filled in a little bit of paper work and she explained that all we'd be doing is getting to know the car and stopping and starting a few times. Fab, I can do that

It was all fun and games until she said, 'so, shall we swap and you can get in the drivers seat?' 
Oh shit, I thought, it's actually happening. 

First I got to grips with the car. I learned how to adjust my seat and my mirrors and then how to start the engine. I'm learning to drive in a keyless car so it's a little different, I'm still getting used to the fact that I only need to press a button and not turn a key. 

Then she pulled out a little pink folder filled with diagrams and explained about how to start a car; pedals, mirror checks, signalling, the lot. It was an overload of information, especially for a novice like me but I nodded along, trying to take in as much as I could. 
'Right, shall we give it a go?' 
I looked at her in disbelief. Oh shit, I've actually got to drive this thing. 

But guess what? I did it and I actually enjoyed it! We stopped and started a few times, each attempt getting better which boosted my confidence a little bit more. Then we somehow went from moving and stopping to changing gears to then doing a three-point-turn in front of a tractor and all without stalling. 

Let me just pause for a moment whilst I give myself a round of applause. Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are right now. 

My Thoughts

The hour and a half flew by and I returned home feeling like I'd actually accomplished something. I was expecting to hate the whole experience and put myself off driving for life but I just couldn't wait to get behind the wheel again! Yep, another shock revelation for you there - I really am full of surprises. 

I know there's a long, challenging driving journey ahead of me but for the first time I'm feeling really happy and excited about this experience. I'm going to keep updating my blog with my progress and my thoughts every few weeks so that you can see both the highs and lows of learning to drive. 

Wish me luck on Junctions next week! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x 














 


SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Way to go! Driving is a really big stresser for myself as well. It sounds like you had an amazing first lesson! I can't wait to hear how the rest of your lessons go!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig