31 December 2020

The Highlights of 2020

Happy New Year! 

Well, where to begin? I had such high hopes for 2020, I thought it was going to be the year where I travelled the world, went on plenty of adventures and finally passed my driving test. However, the new decade had different plans for us all. I can't quite believe what has happened in this past year and just how much our lives have changed. It's been hard to get used to and I know it's been such a tough year for so many of us, but if it's taught us anything, it's to appreciate the little things in life. 

My yearly highlights post is one thing I look forward to writing every year; I love reminiscing and sharing photos and memories with you all. This year however, I was putting off writing it. I didn't think I'd have anything valuable to write about (or nothing worth reading anyway) as our whole lives have come to a complete standstill. However, when I've looked back on 2020 I've realised that I've made some really lovely memories and I want to share them with you. It's all about looking for sunshine and I hope that sharing my memories of what has been a crazy year will bring you some sunshine too. 

Tonight I'll be welcoming in a new year and a new beginning with my family and a glass of gin, but until then here are some of my highlights of 2020!

Learning To Drive


My main goal for 2020 was to learn to drive and eventually pass my driving test, so I kicked the year off with my very first driving lesson. It was such a nerve wracking moment as it's something I've been avoiding for years but I'm so glad that I took the plunge and started learning. 

Fast forward 12 months and we've had a few obstacles; including two cancelled theory tests and one cancelled driving test but I'm ready to take (and hopefully pass) my test at the start of next year! It's a huge achievement for me to even start learning so I'm really proud of myself for being brave and chasing my dreams this year. 

Seeing The 1975


At the end of February, my lovely friend Cyde and I went to see The 1975 at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how much I love this band but incase you don't follow me on any social media, then they're my one of my favourites. We started the night with cocktails in Slug and Lettuce followed by an amazing evening singing and dancing away to our favourite songs. It was one of the best nights of the year and it's the first time I heard If You're Too Shy (Let Me Know) which was basically all I listened to from that moment forward. 

The King And I 


One of the things I've missed the most this year is going to the theatre. I'm so grateful that Mum and I got the chance to watch The King and I at the Liverpool Empire in March, just before we went into lockdown. We went for food at Pizza Express and then headed over to the theatre to watch the show. It was absolutely phenomenal and completely exceeded my expectations; the costumes were stunning, the acting was outstanding and the music was so catchy. Shall we dance? 

Mother's Day In Blackpool


The end of March saw us living in very confusing and uncertain times. Mum, Dad, Buster and I took a little trip to Blackpool for the day and although it doesn't seem very exciting, it was one of my favourite days of the year. We walked along the seafront, taking in the Blackpool sea breeze and feeling the warmth of the early spring sunshine on our faces. We sat on the beach for most of the day, just watching the world go by and it was the perfect way to clear our heads and unknowingly prepare ourselves for the months ahead. 

Lockdown 1.0 



April saw the whole country go into a national lockdown. Our lives came to a complete halt; shops closed, we couldn't see our family or friends and we were all encouraged to stay at home. It was an absolute rollercoaster of emotions, some days I felt great and other days I felt hopeless. Then I realised that my perspective on this situation was everything. It was easy for me to sit and feel sorry for myself, which some days I did, however I used my time to relax, reflect, recharge and do all the things that I never usually have the time to do.

I was furloughed from work which meant that I had a lot of extra time on my hands. Luckily, we were blessed with beautiful weather so I spent my time sunbathing in the garden, reading some brilliant books, doing home workouts, baking plenty of scones and sitting in the garden with my grandparents (at a distance, of course). I had FaceTime calls with my friends, played Bongo's Bingo online, went on some gorgeous walks, did way too many quizzes and became the family hairdresser. 

It was a month of learning TikTok dances, clapping on our doorsteps for the NHS and most importantly, spending quality time with family. When I look back, we made plenty of memories in that first lockdown and although it's not been the best, it's surely a time that none of us will forget. 

Family BBQ's


The first month of lockdown flew by and before we knew it, we were in the sunny month of May. The temperature continued to soar so Mum, Dad, Buster and I had a few family BBQ's in the garden. We had good music, plenty of food and some Rattlers cider, and we spent our evenings laughing, drinking and chatting. If there's one thing I'm grateful for, it's being able to spend quality time with my family. 

I also invested in this lovely straw hat, which I call my Jason Mraz hat - always wear a hat in the sun kids, a sunburnt scalp is not fun. 

Celebrating 75 Years of VE Day 


May also saw the country celebrate 75 Years since VE Day and it was one of my favourite days of the year. I wore my 1940's inspired outfit, we had afternoon tea in the garden, watched the Queen's speech and then the whole street went into their front gardens with food and drinks for a socially distanced street picnic. I felt so patriotic and seeing my all neighbours sat in their gardens celebrating looked like something from a film. It made me feel so warm and very emotional. 

A Lockdown Birthday


In June I celebrated my 23rd Birthday in lockdown. I didn't know what to expect from the day but my family and friends made it so special, especially considering the circumstances and I felt like a princess for the whole day. I had afternoon tea with my grandparents and then got a takeaway and had a few drinks with my Mum and Dad in the evening. I turned 23 in a national lockdown - that's something I never thought I'd say. 

A Surprise Birthday Visit


I must admit, I was gutted that I couldn't see any of my friends to celebrate my birthday, so it was the biggest shock when my friend Cyde drove for an hour and a half to come and surprise me the day after I turned 23. I'd only seen Cyde via FaceTime for the past 2 months, so her turning up on my doorstep was the last thing I was expecting but it was such a lovely thing to do. I really do have the best friends! 

Shortly after, life started to slowly get back to normal. I returned to work, even though I had to now wear a visor when serving customers, and beauty salons re-opened which meant that I could finally have a hair cut and driving lessons resumed so I was back on the roads after what seemed like a lifetime!

Alderly Edge


In July, Cyde and I decided to go on a little adventure and spend the day at Alderly Edge. We ventured through the forests and eventually came to The Edge which provided us with the most breathtaking view of Cheshire; it was absolutely stunning! The sun was shining, the car windows were down and our favourite throwback tunes were playing as we drove back home where we ended the day with a Nando's and a few gins in the beer garden. The perfect day! 

Dad's Birthday Meal


A few days later we celebrated my Dad's birthday by going for a meal at one of our favourite Italian restaurants. It was our first experience dining out since the lockdown was lifted and hospitality re-opened so we made the most of it by getting dressed up and enjoying the most delicious food. It was such a lovely evening and it made me realise how much I'd missed eating out. 

Passing My Theory Test


July was a very successful month. After driving lessons being stopped and two cancelled tests, I finally passed my theory test for the first time. I spent a lot of time in the first lockdown working through my theory apps on my phone and thankfully all of my hard work paid off. I was so proud of myself and even though I wasn't able to take my practical driving test this year, at least I passed something! 

Getting My Ears Pierced


Another one of my resolutions for 2020 was to get my ears pierced and the day after I passed my theory test, I finally did it. It was completely unexpected, which I think was the best thing to do as I didn't have time to hype it up in my head. Honestly I don't know what I was scared of, it was painless and I wish I'd have done it sooner. I feel like a new woman. That's another fear conquered! 

24 Hours In York


In August, Cyde and I decided to go on a spontaneous weekend road trip to York. We had such a lovely break, it was so refreshing to escape and explore somewhere new. On Saturday evening we had food at ASK Italian followed by cocktails in Slug and Lettuce and then spent Sunday exploring York in all its historic glory. Our other travel plans for the year were put on hold but York gave us the little adventure that we needed. We even visited The Shambles which is basically the real life Diagon Alley and made all my Harry Potter dreams come true! 

Being back in Liverpool


I've really missed being able to go out and have a dance with the girls this year. Back in August, restrictions were lifted and we were able to go out in Liverpool to celebrate Kayleigh's birthday. Although it wasn't exactly the same and some rules were still in place, it still felt so good to get dressed up, have a few cocktails and a laugh with some of my best friends. 

Manchester Spa Day


Back in March I booked my Mum a surprise Spa Day for her birthday but because lockdown delayed it for a few months, we only managed to get there in September. We went to the Bannatyne Spa on Quay Street in Manchester and although some of the facilities were unavailable we still experienced the most relaxing massage. It was my first experience of a Spa and I felt like I was walking on a cloud when I came out. It was lovely to spend the day with my Mum and even though it was a belated birthday gift, I know she thoroughly enjoyed it too!

Alfie


In October I unexpectedly lost a man who was so dear to my heart, my lovely Grandad. This wasn't a highlight of my year but I couldn't write this post without including him. I won't say too much but I will tell you that he was the funniest, bravest, kindest, most intelligent person I have ever met. He taught me so much about life and I wouldn't be the woman I am today without his love, support and constant cuddles. He had a smile that could light up a room and was a constant ray of sunshine to everyone who knew him. He wasn't just my Grandad, he was my best friend and I miss and love him so dearly.

Family & Friends


2020 has put a lot of things into perspective for us all and I can't truly describe how grateful I am to have such supportive, loving people around me. They've been there through it all and we've picked each other up through all the highs and lows that this year has brought; we've laughed, we've cried and we've got through it. 

It's been so nice to spend so much quality time with my family; from the lockdown quizzes with Mum and Dad, socially distanced visits to see my Mambly and Grandad and plenty of walks and cuddles with Buster. They amaze me every day with their strength, kindness and love. They've been my rocks, my rays of sunshine, and I couldn't have done it without them. 

Overall, it's been a crazy year. It's had it's highs, it's lows and plenty of challenges but we made it. We've lost some people dear to us, we've learned new skills and we've kept in touch with those closest to us. I've conquered my fears of learning to drive and getting my ears pierced, and I'm thankful that my family, friends and I are entering 2021 healthy and happy. Although it's not been the year that any of us expected, it's taught us that sunshine can be found on the cloudiest of days. 

Wishing you all a very healthy and happy new year! Here's hoping that 2021 is a better year filled with success, love and a little sprinkle of pixie dust. 

Finally, I want to dedicate this post to my little Alfie; the brightest star in the sky. 

Lots of Love,
Meg x













SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig