31 December 2022

2022 │The Highlights

Happy New Year Everyone! 

2022 has been a very strange year for me personally and as I sit down to write about my highlights, I look back on the year with very mixed emotions. My yearly highlights is a best bits reel of all the good things that have happened this year, all the memories and achievements that make me smile, but that's not to say that it hasn't been without its challenges. If there's one thing, I can say that I'm proud of myself this year. 

In a nutshell it's been a year of theatre trips, making new friends, brunches, road trips and plenty of aperol. I've made some lovely, wholesome memories this year and I'm excited to share them with you! Yes, they may only be small things but sometimes it's the little memories that mean the most and I'm walking into the new year feeling grateful and positive. 

Tonight I'll be welcoming in the new year with my family, friends and a glass of gin. I'm feeling excited and positive about the year ahead and I'm ready to achieve my goals, but for now here are some of my highlights of 2022!

Jersey Boys


I started the year in style by going to see one of my favourite musicals Jersey Boys, and oh what a night! It's no secret how much I love this musical so when the touring production came to Liverpool I booked myself a ticket. I actually went to see the show on my own, it was the first solo theatre trip I've ever done and let me tell you now it was so empowering. I absolutely loved the show and the woman next to me commented how I knew all the words...and all the dance moves (oops!). 

A Girls Evening At Albert's


In March my lovely friends Sarah, Kayleigh and I went to Albert's in Standish for a girls evening out. We've wanted to visit Albert's for quite some time and let me tell you now, it's the perfect place to get dressed up, have a few cocktails and eat the most delicious food. The interior is dreamy, the vibe is so chilled and the food is amazing. The whole place just oozes class! It was such a cute girly night and we had such a laugh, as we always do. 

Mamma Mia!


A few days later I went to see my second show of the year; Mamma Mia. I'd never seen the show before and being a big fan of the films I had very high expectations. It didn't disappoint. It was feel-good from start to finish, they sang all our favourite songs (I love a bit of Super Trouper) and the ABBA medley at the end was amazing - Carole and I loved it! 

Beth and Rhys Came to Visit


In April I had a very special visit from two of my favourite people, my lovely friends Beth and Rhys. They made an impromptu trip to Manchester and we had food and cocktails at the Botanist. Beth and I met through our blogs around five years ago and not a day goes by where we don't message or voice-note each other. It's always such a joy to see her and Rhys and I feel so lucky that my blog has brought me two amazing friends. 

Six The Musical


Yep you guessed it, another theatre trip! 
This time Mum and I went to watch SIX as part of her birthday present. We went to watch SIX for the first time last year and both became obsessed with it (the soundtrack is always on in our house!) so it was the perfect gift for Mum's birthday. The whole show was amazing and I had Don't Lose Ur Head in my head for days. It's just so empowering, I absolutely love it! 

Rugby


It wouldn't be a yearly highlights post without mentioning the rugby. The Good Friday Derby was back after two years and the season as a whole didn't disappoint as we won four in a row! I can't wait for the new season to start!

Waitress


One thing I've really enjoyed this year is having the opportunity to watch shows I've never seen before. A musical that has been on my to-watch list for a while is Waitress, so when they opened up (see what I did there?) in Liverpool in May, I took myself on another solo theatre date. I know so many people rave about how fantastic Waitress is and to be honest I went into the theatre with no expectations but I now fully understand the hype. It was hilarious, it was heartwarming and the music was so catchy! 

Platinum Jubilee Weekend


In June we celebrated the Platinum Jubilee of our late Monarch Queen Elizabeth II, a moment in British history. It was a Bank Holiday Weekend of street parties, picnics and celebrations - plus who could ever forget that adorable sketch with Paddington before the Jubilee Concert!? We decorated the house with Union Jacks, watched every event we could on the telly, we sat and watched the Jubilee Concert with our Union Jack Hats and Bandanas and had a picnic too! It's only now I think we realise just how special it was to be celebrating the 70 year reign of our Monarch and her dedication to her people and her country. Rest in Peace Ma'am, and thank you for everything. 

My 25th Birthday


This year saw me officially enter the Over 25's category and to be honest I'm offended that I ever classed myself as old! I can't believe I'm midway through my twenties!? I had such a gorgeous day in work and then went for a lovely meal with my family. I felt so loved by so many people, plus I continued the celebrations for the rest of the month! 

Birthday Bottomless Brunch


Two weeks after my birthday, Sarah, Kayleigh and I went for bottomless brunch at Revolution on the Albert Dock in Liverpool. It was an afternoon of cocktails, pizza and a lot of laughs. After the brunch, we headed over to Matthew Street and spent the rest of the evening going from bar to bar, singing and dancing as much as we could. It was such a fun day, when I'm with these girls I literally never stop laughing! 

Singin' In The Rain


Okay this is a real highlight for me and, surprise surprise, it's another musical!
I've wanted to go and see the theatre production of Singin' In The Rain since I was around 15 years old. I remember seeing it on the telly and being absolutely mesmerised by the cast dancing around in the rain with their colourful umbrellas. For my birthday this year, my Mum bought me tickets to see the show and I can't even begin to tell you how phenomenal it was! The whole show was absolutely joyous and the talent of the cast is something else entirely - it was a dream come true to see them all singin' and dancin' in the rain. We were also lucky enough to meet Kevin Clifton after the show who was so lovely and gave an amazing performance as Cosmo! It was one of my favourite days of the year! 

A Day In London


At the end of June I went to visit my best friend Liv who lives in London. It was only a quick day visit to the capital city but we had such a lovely time exploring Carnaby Street, Covent Garden and watching Grease on a giant TV screen whilst sat on beanbags drinking cocktails. 

Escape To Freight Island


We had some gorgeous weather this summer and I spent most of my time sat outside in the sunshine with a cocktail in my hand. In August my friend Chloe and I went to Escape to Freight Island in Manchester which was such a lovely place to spend one of the hottest days of the year. We sat outside, drank cocktails and enjoyed some delicious food. It was the perfect way to spend a sunny Sunday! 

Six The Musical (Again)


Twice in one year? We really are obsessed! When SIX landed in Blackpool again we just couldn't resist booking tickets. Mum and I had a lovely afternoon in Blackpool having some lunch and browsing the shops before heading to the theatre for the show. As always SIX was amazing and Jen Caldwell is perfect as Anne Boleyn - I will never be able to imagine her without a northern accent! 

The Body Shop Events 


This year I was lucky enough to be invited to the Body Shop Christmas Launch Event, my second Body Shop event of the year. It was an evening of festive fun spent pampering, browsing and chatting to friends both old and new. I genuinely pinch myself every time I get invited to an event by The Body Shop and I feel so lucky to work alongside the most talented bloggers and the most amazing brands. 

Bents


In November Mum and I did our annual festive trip to Bents Garden Centre, also known as the most festive garden centre in the whole entire universe! Christmas officially starts with a trip to Bents and it was absolutely gorgeous. We wandered around the dreamy displays which transported us to a winter wonderland and then stopped off at the small Christmas Market for a hot chocolate and a crepe!

Liverpool Christmas Markets


At the beginning of December my lovely friend Hannah and I took a trip to Liverpool Christmas Markets. I met Hannah for the first time this year and we've become really good friends, we love nothing more than a brunch and a browse around some vintage shops! We had a gorgeous day at the Christmas Markets drinking copious amounts of mulled wine, baileys hot chocolate and eating all the festive treats. We also went on the giant ferris wheel which was so much fun and gave us a stunning view over Liverpool and the Markets. It's actually the first time I've ever been on a ferris wheel and to be honest I thought I'd be terrified but I actually really enjoyed it! 

The Light Before Christmas


In December Mum and I also visited Liverpool's stunning Anglican Cathedral for The Light Before Christmas: The Angels Are Coming light and sound event. The walls of the Cathedral's interior became a canvas for various light displays with matching sounds being heard from the speakers; from Santa on his sleigh to the story of the Nativity. I can't put into words just how beautiful it was; the music, the lights, the atmosphere - simply stunning. There are no photos or videos that will do it justice, I feel very lucky to have witnessed such a unique piece of art. 

Festive Celebrations


December has been filled with festive celebrations with friends old and new, from going out for a Christmas meal, to Christmas Markets, to impromptu nights out. I feel very lucky and grateful to have met so many wonderful people this year, and to be entering 2023 with them all too!

Loving Arms Dementia Group Christmas Party


This year I became a volunteer at Loving Arms Dementia Group, a local group acting as an open door to all those living with dementia in our local community. Loving Arms holds a special place in my heart as my Grandad attended the group and absolutely loved it, he'd look forward to going every week especially when someone would get him up dancing. The group did so much for my Grandad and my family so when they asked me if I would be their Social Media Co-Ordinator, I couldn't turn it down. I see this as my way to give back to the group and I absolutely love volunteering with them, we're basically one big family! The Loving Arms Annual Christmas Party was such a highlight, there was so much joy and love in one room and it really is the reason why we do what we do! 

Family & Friends


2022 has had some really amazing moments but it's also had its challenges too. I can't even begin to express my gratitude to the gorgeous, supportive, wonderful people I have around me; from friends who make me laugh until I cry, to work colleagues who are a second family, to my own family who show me so much love every single day. 

From theatre trips and road trips with my Mum (she's the best sat-nav reader), to nights at the pub with my Dad, to all the laughs with my Mambly, to all the cuddles and walkies with Buster, to trying out new bars and drinking cocktails with the girls. These wonderful people and the memories I have made with them have got me through the year and I couldn't have done it without them. 

Overall, it's been another crazy year. It's had its highs, it's lows and plenty of challenges along the way but we made it and I'm proud of us. I've been to see some of the most amazing shows, met some beautiful new friends (and Kevin Clifton!) and I'm thankful that my family, friends and I are entering 2023 healthy and happy. It hasn't been the most amazing year but I've got a lot to be grateful for and I'm determined to make 2023 a good one! 

I hope you have a fantastic New Year and that 2023 is filled with success, love and happiness! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x











SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig