12 February 2016

Chinese New Year Celebrations






Firstly, I'm going to start by saying Happy Lunar New Year!
We've just entered into the year of the Monkey, and although I'm not too sure what the whole thing means, it's pretty darn cool! Chinese New Year has slowly become an event to be celebrated in most cities around the world, and I think it's the one thing I actually love about the start of each year.

When I was a little girl, my Mum and Dad always used to take me to Liverpool for the Chinese New Year Celebrations. It became a tradition; we'd get all wrapped up in our coats, boots and woolly hats and make our way to Liverpool to watch and take part in the celebrations. I've always been fascinated with the dragons, they're so beautiful. Then, after watching what was going on, we'd head home and get some chinese food, to obviously fit the theme of the whole day. Then, one year, we just stopped going. I can't remember when we stopped going, but I know I haven't been there in a very very long time. I think we just got lazy, and it's not a nice thing to say. It's always been celebrated in our household, well when I say celebrated, I mean we'd order in a Chinese takeaway and then end up with a food baby. But there was just something missing about Chinese new year for me, something that just wasn't the same, and this year I found out what it was.

I always seem to say this, but moving here to Liverpool was one of the best things I ever did. And, on Sunday, I went to re-live my childhood. My Mum & Dad surprised me by getting the train down to come and see me, and we headed over to Chinatown to go and see the celebrations. The streets were packed full of people, you couldn't really move. The fire crackers were exploding all over the place, my mum was particularly scared of them; they were so loud! We walked further down the street, and saw some beautiful girls dressed in traditional Chinese dress with little parasols; they looked amazing. The markets were always one of my favourite parts of going to Chinese New Year in Liverpool, I remember one year I got this really cool book mark with my name written on it in Chinese lettering; I still have it to this day. I don't actually think I've used it yet, and I've had it for about nine or ten years; but I just don't want to damage it.

For the majority of the day, I was trying to convince my dad that it was a really good idea to go on some of the rides, but it was just too cold. The wind was icy cold, so we didn't want to stay out too long.  I was particularly fascinated by the Chinese Dragons parading around the streets, they were so beautiful; I was mesmerised by them. They were very cheeky, and I got to touch one of them, which is traditionally good luck, so hopefully I'll have some luck in this lunar year!

I loved going to Chinese New Year this year, but there was something about it that wasn't as great as when I used to go when I was younger. Has that ever happened to you? When you used to love something so much when you were younger, but now it's just not the same and you don't know why. Anyway, it was such a fun day regardless, and I'll definitely be going again next year (I just hope it's not as icy cold!)

Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

Twitter | Tumblr  | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig