8 June 2016

Eighteen things I learned being 18

Growing up is something we all have to do, whether we like it or not. If it was up to me, I'd like to stay this age forever; young enough to be free yet old enough to do what I want too. Tomorrow, I turn 19. It's my last year of being a teenager, and it's very hard for me to process the fact that I'll be turning 20 this time next year. In this past year of being an 'adult' I've experienced some amazing moments; I've been to Uni, made and lost friends and learned how to cope with things on my own.

 I think turning 18 really opens your eyes to the real world; you're legally allowed to do so many things that you may have not been able to do before such as buy alcohol and go out clubbing. Doing all these 'adult' things has made me realise so much about life in general; what's acceptable and what's not. If you've been reading my blog for a while, you'll remember I did a post about 'Seventeen things I learned being 17'. I thought it'd be fun to do a similar post, but with all the things that being 18 has taught me. 

1. Deleted toxic people
I started adulthood off with an amazing set of friends, but as life has taken it's twists and turns, some of these people are no longer part of my life anymore. Many people have shown their true colours this year, and I've decided that I have no time for fakeness, bitchiness and negativity in my life. Deleting these people is very very hard, but the reassurance that your real friends are always there makes things a little bit easier. The sooner you delete toxic people from your life, the happier and more content you will be. 

2. Living away from home isn't all that bad
Being 18 saw me take a big step and move away from home. I got my own little flat in Liverpool, and although I felt a little homesick at first, living on my own wasn't actually all that bad. I learned so many new skills, including how to boil an egg. I think I'm going to miss all the independence next year! 

3. Be brave and face your fears
I'm pretty sure I said something similar to this last year, but I can't begin to explain how amazing it feels to accomplish something that you were once scared of. I went on holiday on my own, overcame my fear of planes and I'm slowly learning to be more confident in myself. In the words of Peter Pan himself 'Be Brave and Never Grow Up' 

4. I miss Disney more as an Adult than a child 
I never thought I would ever miss Disney as much as I do. I always had Disney blues as a kid but they seemed to fade away pretty quickly because I think I always knew when I was going to go back. But as an adult, I can't begin to explain how much I'm missing being surrounded by the magic. I also appreciate Disney much more as an adult; both the films and the hard work that goes into the job. It's just the best thing in the world, I can't think of anything that makes me happier. 

5. Hard Work = Success
It's pretty self explanatory; if you work hard to achieve your goals then you will. I passed my A-Level exams and made it to Uni, but I would never have passed these exams if I wouldn't have stayed behind in college and worked my little bum off to be where I am right now.  The best thing about achieving your dreams is being able to go out and find a new one! 

6. Never drink four different cocktails and then Jäger bombs
This is a mistake I made, and one I will never be making ever again. Just a bit of life advice for ya! 

7. If you're not happy, change things
There is no point in living a life that you're unhappy with. I've made so many changes this past year, whether that be in education, relationships or lifestyle. I'm not saying these changes have been easy, but I'm feeling so much happier because of them. 

8. Aldi has everything you will ever need
If there is ever a zombie apocalypse then Aldi is the place to be. As a student, I think I've spent most of my time in there stocking up on pasta and cheese. If you're ever in doubt, Aldi will always have the answer. 

9. You don't have to be doing what everyone else is doing
I think I've finally realised that everyone is different and that we all progress at different rates. I mean if you're not ready to do something, then that's totally fine and people will respect you more for that fact. It's okay to just do you.

10. Uni isn't all it cracked up to be
Okay so I've only completed my first year, and before I started everyone told me I would be embarking on the best three years of my life. I'll be truthful, I find that very very hard to believe. I don't know if it's because I changed courses half way through the year, or if it's just not my thing. It's not the amazing thing everyone makes it out to be.

11. I'm actually a really good cook
If there's one thing I've learnt this year, it's that I make the best pasta in the world.

12. Writing poetry is seriously relaxing
If you would've told me I would enjoy writing poetry this time last year, I would've laughed in your face and told you to shut up. But actually, I really enjoy it. I seem to be inspired to write poems a lot, not that they're any good of course.

13. I spend way too long singing in the shower
I'm that one person that takes about six hours in the shower, but it's because I sing all the time. I didn't realise how much I actually sing in the shower until my flatmates pointed it out to me. It's like the highlight of my day; my shower playlist has some cracking tunes.

14. Don't lie to impress people
How many times has someone lied to impress someone they've liked? If you say you've not then you're probably lying. I've learnt that actually, people like you much more for being yourself rather than bragging about the things you don't actually have.

15. Your heart gets broken sometimes, but that's okay
The majority of males I have encountered this year have been absolute idiots, and yep I've been a little bit upset. But it's completely normal to encounter idiots. Like they say, you've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince.

16. Never let a man take advantage of you
Whether it be in a club or just a guy you've been speaking too, never ever let them take advantage of you. You are worth more than a guy who thinks he can just call you up when it suits him.

17. Hot lemonade fixes everything
I have finally found the cure for that horrible unwell feeling. Put lemonade in a pan, boil it for a little while and then drink it. It sounds disgusting I know, but it cures everything. I swear by it.

18. Your Mum & Dad will always be proud of you
This year, I was under the impression that I let a lot of people down. But actually, it just made them prouder of me for taking a chance and doing what I wanted to do. My Mum and Dad are proud of me no matter what I do, as long as I'm happy.

Only a few hours of being 18 left! ahhhhh!

 Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

Twitter | Tumblr  | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | YouTube


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig