10 July 2016

It's Okay Not to be Okay


I was browsing through my subscriptions box on YouTube when I came across Niomi Smart's latest video on her channel. If you didn't know, Niomi is a beauty/fashion/health/lifestyle blogger and vlogger from the UK. I love watching Niomi's videos because they are always so positive and her beautiful personality shines through. However, in her most recent video, Niomi was having a little bit of a rubbish day and this inspired me to write this blog post. 

Keeping up a positive energy is something a lot of people try to do because being around someone who is always happy, chatty and sees the good in everything is something that we all enjoy. I know I love being around people who radiate a positive energy and leave me feeling happy when I've been spending time with them. We seem to be under the illusion that these amazingly positive people can never have a bad day, but everyone has bad days and we all deal with these in different ways.

It's not something I'm ready to go into a lot of detail about on my blog at the moment, but these past couple of months, I have been weighed down by mental health issues. And for me, asking for help was one of the biggest challenges I think I have ever had to face. When I did finally tell the people closest to me what was going on in my life, they were more supportive than I could have ever wanted them to be. The majority of people fully tried to understand, others didn't but I completely understand that because it's something that is hard to get the grasp of when you haven't experienced it yourself.

A small part of my mental health was down to trying to constantly be positive for other people; pushing my problems aside and trying to make other people happy. I felt as though I could never let anyone down but I think people forget that it's completely natural to have a bad day. Never feel like you shouldn't be having a day because there's worse things going on in the world, which is something I have been told by people various times when I have tried to explain that I'm not feeling great and I just wanted to stay in and read a book.

If you're feeling low, one of the best things to do is make sure that you treat yourself with the things that make you happy. For me that includes being snuggled up with a blanket and a lot of Disney films. It is also valuable to have a friend that makes you happy and offers you a different perspective on your problems. In Niomi's video, this person for her was her friend Jim. It's important that you never feel like you are pestering or annoying this friend because they are 100% going to want to help you and make you feel better about yourself.

This was just one of those quick blog posts that includes my rambles and no structure. But I think what I'm trying to say is that it's okay to have a bad day and it's okay not to feel worth it because it's completely natural and it's definitely not something you should ever feel bad for or ashamed about. At the end of the day, it's these thing that shape you as a person.

I'm going to leave a little quote here that really helped me when I was coming to terms with things in my life.
'You've survived 100% of your bad days, you're doing great!' 

Lots of Love
Meg
xox

Twitter | Tumblr  | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | YouTube



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig