16 September 2016

A Twisted Tale: A Whole New World by Liz Braswell

I picked up this book whilst browsing the book isle in Tesco looking for the perfect summer read. I've always been intrigued by the idea of taking an original fairytale story and completely turning it around; making the hero lose, the Princess fight and the Villain stronger, so this seemed like the perfect book for me to read. The plot of the book is explained on the cover; it follows the journey of Aladdin and Jasmine, finding out what would have happened if Aladdin had never found the Lamp. 

At first the book is a little predictable, it just follows the original Aladdin Story; he meets Jasmine in the market, convinces the people selling on the market that she's crazy, gets taken to the dungeons and then is sent on the quest to  the cave. At this point I was very bored, I thought I'd been tricked and just bought the original story of Aladdin. However once he enters the cave, things start to take a very interesting turn. Instead of Aladdin getting the lamp and using the genie for good, Jafar gets his hands on it and things start to take a very drastic turn. I'm not going to tell you any spoilers though.

When I first picked the book up, I was expecting big things from it but I have to say that it was extremely disappointing. I think there were too many characters with confusing names so you didn't really know who was who. In terms of the way the book was written, it wasn't very good; some of the grammar was awful and at times it felt like I was reading the proof copy of the book instead of the real thing. I think I got my hopes up a little too much and it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. From the moment I purchased the book, I got it home and started to read it straight away (this was in late July) and it has taken me until now to finish it. It ended up being a struggle to read and I found myself reading it for reading sake.

When I started to look for my Summer read, the thing that attracted me to this book was definitely the cover. It implies that the story is going to be really spooky, chilling and have you on the edge of your seat. I'm sad to say but it just wasn't spooky enough for me. I understand that they didn't want to ruin the original story but I just think that it could have been thought out and written better.

I realise I've just completely slated the book (oops) but it wasn't all that bad. Although the plot wasn't what I wanted or expected, it was still a pleasant read and if you are looking for a little bit of something to just keep dipping into then I'd recommend it. However, if you want a book that's going to constantly keep you hooked then it's definitely not the book for you.

'A Twisted Tale: A Whole New World' - Liz Braswell
Recommended: Not Really
Rating: 2 Stars

Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

Twitter | Tumblr  | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | YouTube

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig