8 June 2017

Nineteen things I learned being 19

If you've been reading my blog for a while then I'm sure you'll be used to seeing these yearly blog posts. If you're new, welcome to the yearly tradition on my blog where I tell you all about the things I've learned in the past year of my life. I love going back and reading the previous years post because it helps me to see how much I've changed and gives me a positive outlook on the year ahead. In last year's post, I said that I couldn't quite believe that I was turning 20 the following year, and now the day has finally arrived. June 9th isn't only general election day, but it's the day I say goodbye to my teenage years. I could actually cry just writing that.

My final teenage year has been a tough one, and it makes me sad to say that it's been a year that I'd much rather forget. I've been bogged down with mental health issues, stress and it's been one of the lowest points in my life so far. However, I look back at the unhappy girl I was a year ago today, and I look at the happy soul who is writing this blog post and I'm so proud of how far I've come as a person. My setbacks have only made me stronger and they've come with their positives too! I managed to get a job which I love (and which I'm still in a year later), I've made so many new friends and I somehow managed to make it into the third year of University (I don't know how that happened either.) 

So without further ado. Here are the nineteen things I learned in my final year of being a teenager. 

1. Being in a job you love is so important
When I left my job at Disney Store, I was unemployed for six months. Not having a job was really getting me down; five months away from University with nothing to pre-occupy my mind was something that had a big impact on my mental health. However, one sunny day in June I landed a job working on a hair and beauty stall, and since then I've never looked back. I absolutely love my job and the people I work with which has made me realise just how important it is to be in a job that makes you happy. I wake up in the morning and look forward to going to work, not many people can say that.

 2.  I really like gin.
I'm aware that the photo above is of me with a pint of cider, however, gin is where my heart is at. I've figured it's the perfect drink to make you sound sophisticated and older. I suppose that's how I need to sound now that I'm *gulp* in my twenties.

3. Dentists aren't all that bad.
My final teenage year saw me conquer my fear of dentists and have two fillings. I'm so proud of myself I think I deserve recognition from the Queen or something. 

4. Never allow me to make my own drinks
I will never know how much vodka is too much vodka...until the morning after. 

5. It's possible to get all of your Uni work done a week before Deadline.
And come out with a high 2.1 at the end of it all.
But be prepared for a lot of tears and a week without sleep. 

6. Toxic people walk out so that beautiful people can walk in.
I met these two lovely ladies in my last year of being a teen, both of whom I met through my new job, and I can honestly say that they're wonderful. I was so down last year because I'd lost so many friends and I felt so alone. But now I'm thankful for all of the wonderful people I have in my life. I don't think I'd be here without them.

7. It's okay to have your own opinions.
As my confidence has grown, so have my opinions. Whenever you voice an opinion, there's always going to be people who will disagree with you but it's so important to remember that your opinion is so valid even if someone else tells you that it is wrong. Never let anyone make you feel bad because you feel a certain way, we're all human after all.

8. I love piƱa coladas
But not getting caught in the rain

9. Treat Yo'self
I've realised that it's so important to have a goal to work towards and to treat yourself once in a while. If you've been working hard all week and you go into Topshop and see a dress you really like, get it for yourself! You've earned it!

10. It'll turn out alright in the end, you'll see
And it always does. I look at the girl I was a year ago today, so scared and lonely and unhappy. I don't even recognise her. I'm so glad that I told someone about the way I was feeling and made an effort to get help. I've pushed myself to do so many things that are out of my comfort zone and although I'm not fully okay, which I don't think I ever will be, I'm so happy in my own skin. I'm proud of myself.

11. Talk about the way you're feeling
And never feel like you're annoying someone by confiding in them. I can guarantee that they'll want to help you. I'm really lucky to have such an understanding family and close group of friends who are always there for me when I need them and won't judge me when I have a meltdown.

12. Karma will come back around
And it's the most satisfying feeling when you see it serving justice.

13. I LOVE GARLIC BREAD
It's pretty self-explanatory, but if I could live off that stuff for the rest of my life then I would.

14. Going on holiday with people you don't know isn't all that bad
I think that going to Disneyland Paris and making so many wonderful friends has definitely been the highlight of my final teenage year. I couldn't have asked for better friends to be starting my twenties with, I'm so lucky that they came into my life. As I said before, toxic people leave your life so those wonderful individuals can take their place. In my case, they came with a little bit of pixie dust.

15. Never be ashamed of loving what you love.
I'm a 20-year-old girl with a slight Disney obsession, but I'm in no way ashamed. I'm so proud of it because it's part of who I am and if people can't accept that then they're not worth the time.

16. A long distance friendship can work if you try
Liv moved to London this year which meant that we were apart for months at a time. It could have taken its toll on our friendship but I can honestly say that it's brought us closer than ever. That's the sign of a friendship that's going to last a lifetime.

17. I have some seriously amazing friends
I know I rant on about how amazing they are, but they inspire me and overwhelm me with their kindness every single day. I can't begin to tell you how blessed I am to have them in my life.

18. Family's stick together no matter what
A lot has happened this year in my personal life, and although I talk about everything on here, there are some parts of my life that I like to keep quiet. However, I've realised just how strong my family are. We stick together, it's all for one and one for all. You hurt one, and you hurt us all. I love my Ohana.

19. Being a teenager was pretty awesome.
Okay, so I think I've got through my teenage years okay. I mean I've passed all of my exams, never got a detention, never got kicked out of college, got a job, got into Uni and I've learned not to mix four cocktails and tequila. HOWEVER, I think that it's true what they say, as much as you hate them, your teenage years are the best years of your life. I just hope my twenties will be able to live up to them!

Here's to my last day of being a teenager!

Lots of Love,
Meg
xox

Twitter | Tumblr  | Bloglovin' | Pinterest | Instagram | YouTube | Facebook



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig