8 June 2018

Twenty things I learned being 20

I've almost completed the first year of my twenties. 
Tomorrow, I turn 21. I can legally drink in America and for the first time, I actually feel old. When did I get so...adult????

I remember being little and going to a family friend's 21st birthday party. I told my Mum that I couldn't wait to be 21 because 'I can do what I want,' and here we are. I'll be honest, I still look like I'm 16, I haven't grown since I was 11 and I'm convinced that I'm still 18. I'm like a real-life Peter Pan, I never want to grow up. 

If you're new here, welcome to the yearly tradition on my blog where I tell you all about the things I've learned in the past year. In this case, I'll be telling you about the first year of my twenties and I must say, it's been really lovely. Sure, I've had my ups and downs but maybe it's true what they say - your twenties are some of the best years of your life. 

Without further ado, here are twenty things I've learned in my first year of being, well, twenty. 

1. You don't need to be part of a Girl Gang

For years I was under the impression that I needed to be part of a girl gang. It was really nice at first. I had this huge group of friends who had my back through anything, who'd hold my hair back when I was drunk, listen to my endless boy dramas and the group chat was never quiet. Sounds great, right? However, what you don't see is the endless bitching. Who has time for it?
I don't need to be part of a girl gang to feel like I matter. 

2. Speak your mind

I used to be incredibly shy and to an extent, I still am. I had a tendency to let people walk all over me and whenever anyone did something to upset me, I'd tell them that it was okay and I'd end up being the one to apologise. But I've stopped that now. If someone is doing something that is upsetting me or making me feel uncomfortable, I tell them. How else will they know?

A lot of people told me that I'd changed when in reality they couldn't quite believe the fact that I was standing up for myself. If I don't, who else will?

3. People will leave and that's okay 

The first few months of being 20 saw me grow apart from two of my closest friends. It was hard but I know I've come out stronger and more confident because of it. I've learned that if you're not outgrowing friendships then you're not growing up. I barely talk to anyone that I went to school with and it's allowed me to re-invent myself and my confidence has been boosted massively. 

4. iPhone is sooo much better than Android

I finally switched from Android to Apple and it was potentially one of the best adult decisions I have ever made. Where has portrait mode been all my life?

5. If you work hard good things will happen

Being twenty saw me complete the last year of my degree. It was a year of hard work, breakdowns and many tears but I did it. If it wasn't for all the determination, encouragement and late nights in the library, I would never be graduating next month. 

6. I really like going to the Rugby

In September, my Dad took me to my first rugby match or should I say, he dragged me along. It was the Saints Vs. Wigan derby and I was adamant that I was going to hate it. Almost a year later, Dad and I haven't missed a home game and I really, really like going to the rugby. It's more the atmosphere than the game but Saints are doing so well this season! 

7. Being sedated is hilarious

Two weeks after I turned 20, I had a tooth extracted in hospital under sedation. Apparently, I was singing along to Rick Astley and told my dentist that I was a dentist. I don't remember a thing but I'm really proud of myself for facing my fears. 

8. I love Liverpool Airport

It's definitely the nicest airport in the country. 

9. A little bit of self-belief is all you need 

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to quit. I felt like I wasn't good enough and like I couldn't do anything. But it's surprising what a little self-love and self-belief can do. I am worthy! I can do this! (And I did)

10. Be happy in the skin you're in 

I'm finally comfortable in my own skin. 
I have acne but that doesn't define me. It doesn't change who I am and if people can't look past that then they're not worthy of my friendship. Since I've accepted this, I'm so confident in my own skin and I'm the happiest I've ever been. 

11.  A relationship should be an addition to your life

It shouldn't be your WHOLE life.

12. I love wearing fake eyelashes

They make my eyes so fluttery and pretty. I don't feel complete without my lashes on a night out. 

13. Push yourself 

I've really tried to push myself this year, especially in terms of my fashion choices. I've been buying things that I wouldn't normally buy and when I pull a particular outfit off, I feel so good about myself. It's really helped to boost my mood. 

14. Don't allow yourself to be taken advantage of. 

I've encountered my fair share of assholes this year and if there's one thing I've learned, it's that I'm worth more than a guy who thinks he can belittle me, call me the worst names and make it all okay by telling me that he's joking. Prince Charming will come along eventually and until he does, I'm continuing to LOVE being single (because it really is the best!)

15. I'm basically in love with the Starlit Princess Waltz

Did I ever tell you about that time Snow White told me I'm her favourite Princess? 
In all seriousness, it's been a year and I'm still not over this gorgeous show. If you're visiting Disneyland Paris this summer then you have to go and see it! 

16. I love Festivals

In September, I went to Fusion Festival with my best friend Mitch. It will forever remain one of my favourite days and I'm a proper festival gal. Any excuse to put my hair in space buns and throw glitter all over my face and I'm there. I'm going to see Nile Rogers and Chic next month and I'm VERY excited. 

17. I hate public transport

Northern, I'm looking at you!
 If you follow me on Twitter, you'll be used to seeing my regular complaints about trains being cancelled and delayed. It's been the bane of my life for the past year and I will not miss my commute to uni every morning. 

18. Trying to please everyone is a waste of energy

Not everyone is going to like you and the sooner you realise that the happier you'll be. Let people like you for YOU and not someone you pretend to be. You really do not have to be friends with someone if you don't want to.

19. Supportive family and friends are everything

I don't know what I would have done without my family and friends this year. Their constant positivity and love have picked me up and inspired me every single day. They believed in me when I didn't believe in myself and I will never be able to thank them for everything they've done. 

20.  It's the little things

Like the smell outside when it rains, the smell of your favourite coffee and a McDonald's banana milkshake on a warm day. Happiness can be found in the smallest, most unexpected places. 


I'm so excited to celebrate with my family and friends tomorrow. 
Here's to 21!

Lots of Love,
Meg
xxx









SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig