27 May 2019

On Losing Inspiration for My Blog

It's bank holiday Monday, y'know that one at the end of May that everyone seems to forget about. The weather is incredibly disappointing and so I'm sat here staring at a blank screen trying to write my 'come back' blog post.

Note the blank screen, that's the issue. 

Don't get me wrong, everything about today is lovely; I've lit some candles, made myself a mug of gingerbread coffee and I've got my colour co-ordinated notebook packed with ramblings but STILL NOTHING.

Not a damn thing and this has been a recurring issue in my writing life for the past few months, or should I say the past year, and it is so damn frustrating.

When I finished University, I said that I'd take a few months away from blogging to recharge my creative batteries. However, I think the batteries are still dead. Sure, there have been a few posts here and there but nothing consistent.

I took a break from July to October, which is when I started my course of Roaccutane. It's an experience that I wanted to document on my blog and I thought that being prescribed the drug would give me the motivation I needed. Did it work? Did it heck!

Then our Christmas trip to Disneyland Paris rolled around. What more could I need to get me inspired and motivated to write?! I wrote one blog post about it in February (two months late) and that's been it. The lack of inspiration is demotivating in itself.

I'd like to sit here and blame it on lack of things to write about but that's just not the case. The intention is there, but yet words seem to fail me. It's not like I haven't tried to write anything, I've got so many posts half written and a few posts with photos attached but just no words.

It is truly, frustratingly baffling.

I will admit that part of it is due to my own laziness. As your typical Gemini, I get distracted very easily and procrastination is a significant skill; I'd rather do anything than the task I've set myself. Plus it's so time-consuming. People think blogging is just writing a quick five-minute post but it's so much more than that; taking photos, editing photos, editing posts, promoting posts - it never stops!

Another factor is the lack of self-belief. I compare my writing, my photography and even my blog design to every other blogger I see. Instead of using this to motivate me, I go and curl up with my bowl of cereal and cry about how my blog will never be good enough.

Yep, I know this isn't the way to go about things. 

I should be using my fellow bloggers to empower and inspire me and I promise, I am trying. The standard of blog content is so high, everyone has different styles, different niches and different tones and I can't help but feel an added pressure. It's not fun like it used to be but I know it's me who's making it 'not fun' for myself. I need to snap out of it and fast.

So, What Am I Going To Do About it? 

Well, I've given myself a good talking to. I need to stop with the comparisons, stop creating unknown pressures and find that love I had five years ago when this little blog became a thing.

I remember when I started going to the gym and my friend said, 'if you find yourself lacking in motivation, buy new gym gear.' I'm applying this same theory to blogging so I'm going to switch things up a little. I have considered starting a blog specific Instagram account and I'm looking at new blog themes. 

I'm planning blog posts, photoshoots and for the first time, I'm actually excited. I still need to learn to just sit down and write instead of writing a sentence and then editing it straight away but I'm sure that'll come with time. It's kind of hard to snap out of it after three years on a creative writing degree. 

So now I'm back, from outer space (ten points if you can name the song), I'll be continuing with my Christmas Disneyland Paris posts, updating you on my progress with Roaccutane and bringing you along on the many adventures I've got planned for the rest of the year. 

I really am excited to get back into blogging again! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x 






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig