10 August 2020

Driving Diaries: We're Back!


It's been a while since I spoke about learning to drive hasn't it? 

When I last updated you I was just getting my confidence behind the wheel, I was close to booking my theory test and I was looking at cars. Then corona happened and everything came to a standstill. I didn't sit in the driver seat for four whole months and surprisingly, I missed it.

The information on when driving lessons would resume was basically unknown, one minute I'd be back on the roads in a week, the next in two months. It was a waiting game and I hated it. However, you'll be glad to know that I am now back behind the wheel and I have quite a bit to update you on. 

So, without further ado, here's an update on what it's like learning to drive in a pandemic (that is something I never, ever thought I'd have to write). 

The Theory Test

I thought I'd start with some really good news; I PASSED MY THEORY TEST! 

After two cancelled tests (thanks corona) and a whole lot of waiting, I finally took my theory test on 21st July and I passed first time. It was a weird experience and the extra precautions we had to take made it that little bit more daunting. I was really hoping to pass first time as I'd been prepared to take the test since April so I was over the moon when I got the pass certificate. 

I struggled to revise for my theory test at first but I found that using the Driving Test Theory 4 in 1 app really helped. I'd do a quick mock test or flick through some questions when I had a spare moment and slowly but surely, my scores started getting higher and higher. The app is brilliant because it allows you to flag questions you're struggling with and it also helps that they're basically identical to the questions you get on the actual test. 

It's like with anything in life, if you put in the work then you'll get the rewards. Now I've just got to pass my practical! 

The First Lesson Back 

Here in England, driving lessons resumed on 4th July and I was one of the first to be back on the roads (eager, I know). I was both excited and incredibly nervous. On the one hand I was delighted to be back on track to (hopefully) passing my test by the end of the year but I was also scared that I was going to sit behind the wheel and realise that I'd completely forgotten everything. 

Luckily that didn't happen. We had a little refresher lesson and to both mine and my instructors surprise, I pretty much remembered everything. It was like I'd never been away. 

However, there is one slight change to teaching as it's advised that both you and your instructor wear a mask. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the current mask situation but trying to learn to drive in a mask whilst your glasses are steaming up is not a fun experience at all.  I'm already a hazard to other drivers, let's not mention me not being able to see!

After a few attempts and trying several different methods, I've finally conquered the whole glasses steaming up fiasco and now wearing a mask to drive doesn't really bother me - I literally forget it's there. 

I should also mention that no personal belongings are allowed in the car, it's thoroughly cleaned before and after the use of every student, gloves can be worn but aren't compulsory, the car windows remain open for ventilation and hand sanitiser is used throughout the lesson. These are just the rules from my driving school, but it gives you a little idea of what you can expect. 

Manoeuvres

Before we went into lockdown, I was about to start on manoeuvres including a bay park and a parallel park. 

So many people told me that it was easier to reverse a car and I can now fully confirm that they were right. I was absolutely terrified to start reversing (if I struggled to drive the thing forwards, I had no chance doing it backwards) but learning to park and reverse has pretty much been plain sailing. 

I started on my forward bay park which I struggled with at first but eventually mastered after a few attempts. Then I moved onto a reverse bay park which I picked up straight away and then onto parallel parking which I'm not fully confident with yet but I'm getting there. I can do it, I'm just not confident which is okay as I know confidence will come with time. 

Just a PSA to other drivers: when you see a learner driver on the empty end of a car park, don't drive up to them, park next to them, stare at them or beep your horn at them. They're on the empty end of the car park for a reason, there's plenty of spaces right in front of the shop so if you could stop being so rude and just leave them alone, that'd be lovely. Rant over! 

You're All Updated

I've been back behind the wheel for four weeks and I've just started on roundabouts which are a complete new ball game and even talking about them gives me anxiety - it was the one thing I really didn't want to do. 

Overall, it's been really nice to be back on the roads and working towards the end goal of passing my test. It's unknown whether I'll be able to take my test this year with the current backlog of cancelled learners on the waiting list but I'm staying optimistic! 

I'll keep you updated on the roundabouts and the car shopping! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x
















SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig