31 December 2021

The Highlights of 2021

Happy New Year!

Well, it's safe to say that 2021 has been another crazy year! I know it's cliche but I can't quite believe how quickly it's gone. I think it's safe to say that it's definitely been a step up from last year; it's been a year of achievement, success, bottomless brunches, spending time with loved ones and becoming very invested in the Euros (and Jack Grealish, oops!). 

2021 has seen me do some amazing things; from passing my driving test and buying my first car, to visiting my best friend in London and finally seeing JLS on their reunion tour. As I settle down to write my highlights of the year I feel an overwhelming sense of gratitude, not only for the things I've been able to accomplish this year but for the wonderful people and things around me. 

Despite all this, I understand that it hasn't been the most positive year for some. We've found ourselves living in crazy times yet again, with more lockdown restrictions and uncertainty. If you're reading this right now, I just want to say that I'm incredibly proud of you for making it through. It's all about looking for sunshine and I hope that this post will bring some sunshine to you too. 

Tonight I'll be welcoming in a new year and a new beginning with my family and a glass of gin, but until then here are some of my highlights of 2021!

Lockdown 3.0


January saw us thrown straight into our third three month lockdown. It wasn't the best start to the year but I decided to use that time to focus on my well-being and improving my whole mindset. It's no secret that I'm intrigued by the law of attraction, so I spent my time learning about manifestation, spirituality and becoming the best version of myself. It was incredibly refreshing to have this time and I really enjoyed being able to start my year by focusing on myself. 

Over the first three months I spent my time going on some very scenic walks, making pizza wraps, watching Bridgerton, having zoom calls with my friends and attempting (and failing) to do one of Chloe Ting's workouts (just a quick psa, they really are harder than they look!). 

An Outdoor Reunion With Friends


Fast forward to April and Spring was upon us, the weather was getting warmer, and we were finally allowed to meet our friends outdoors as lockdown restrictions slowly started to lift. My lovely friends Sarah, Kayleigh and I had a little reunion in the garden which consisted of plenty of wine, a much needed catch up and lots of laughter. 

A few days later I was finally allowed to go back to work after being furloughed for three months, driving lessons resumed and I could actually go to Primark for a proper browse around the store; it was the welcome sense of normality that I needed. 

25th Wedding Anniversary


April also saw my Mum and Dad celebrate 25 years of marriage.  Although they couldn't have the celebrations they'd planned for their Silver Wedding Anniversary, I made sure I decorated the living room with banners and balloons and made the day as special as I possibly could. It was still a day to celebrate twenty five years of love, laughter and adventure, to celebrate the unbreakable bond they share. Cheers to 25 years! 

Buying My First Car


I've had a few moments this year where I've felt genuinely proud of myself and the day I bought my first car is definitely one of them. After spending over a year trying to find the vehicle for me (I'm basically the fussiest person ever), I finally bought my little Minnie the Micra and she's absolutely wonderful. One of the best things I did whilst learning to drive was buying a car before I passed my test as it really helped to build my confidence outside of lessons. I'm such a car mum now, I can't go into a super market without buying a new air freshener! 

More Drinks & Reunions With Friends


The beginning of summer saw restrictions lift further and the hospitality sector finally opened their doors which meant that I didn't have to rely on my awful cocktail making skills and could go back to drinking aperol spritz in the sunshine. After not seeing each other for over eight months, my lovely friend Cyde and I had a re-union one sunny Sunday afternoon in Liverpool which included a few cocktails, exchanging of Christmas presents and a lot of laughter! 

Bottomless Brunch at Masons Liverpool


Another day, another re-union; and this time it consisted of my first ever bottomless brunch! 
One of my best friends Liv was visiting home from London and after not seeing each other for almost a year and a half, we thought it would be the perfect opportunity for a bottomless brunch at Mason's in Liverpool. We had such a wonderful afternoon drinking our new favourite Mason's mimosas, catching up and singing along to every song that we could. It was such a welcome sense of normality at that time and from that moment we decided that bottomless brunch is most definitely going to be our new thing! 

Meeting Beth & Rhys in Liverpool


This is my friend Beth and we've been friends for around four years, although I'm pretty sure we've known each other longer than that. Beth is one of my best friends; we met through our blogs and there's not a day goes by where we don't send each other random voicenotes about a crazy idea we've had or a rant about something that we just know the other one is going to agree with. So, it's crazy to think that we only actually met in person for the first time this year!

In June Beth and her boyfriend Rhys travelled all the way from Swansea to come and visit me in Liverpool. It literally felt like I'd known them both forever; we had cocktails in Slug and Lettuce and then headed over to Boujee to live our pink themed dreams. It was such a gorgeous evening and I just feel so grateful to have such wonderful friends. 

My 24th Birthday


June also saw me celebrate my 24th birthday and it was a day filled with love, laughter and aperol, of course! The day was so special; from my bosses making a fuss of me in work to my friends surprising me with a gorgeous bunch of flowers. In the evening I had a meal with my family at my favourite Italian restaurant and I just can't put into words how special and loved it made me feel; I basically felt like a princess for the whole day. I really am so very grateful. 

It's Boujee Baby


A few weeks after meeting Beth, I headed back to Boujee in Liverpool for some belated birthday celebrations; what better way to celebrate your birthday than drinking pink themed cocktails and taking photos on a jet-ski!? It was such a hilarious night and it felt amazing to be able to get dressed up and feel good about ourselves. Again, I really do have the best friends! 

Six The Musical


Over the course of the pandemic one of the things I've missed the most is being able to watch live theatre. In July, theatres were finally allowed to open their doors so Mum and I booked to go and see Six The Musical. We've wanted to go and watch Six for the longest time and let me tell you, it didn't disappoint. It was absolutely amazing, the most feel-good show with the most talented cast - the soundtrack has literally been on repeat since. I think it's very safe to say that Six is up there with one of our favourite musicals ever! Not only was the show incredible, but it felt emotional being back in a theatre watching a live show again. The magic of theatre is well and truly back! 

The Euros


July also saw myself and the entire country take quite an interest in football (and Jack Grealish, Mason Mount, Declan Rice, and so on...). England battled their way through the competition and made it to the final and we all thought that football was finally coming home. It completely united the country and brought everyone together. There was such a buzz everywhere you went, it was a really special time and although we didn't quite get the result we'd hoped for, it's most certainly a time we'll never forget. We saw England play in a major football final, who ever thought that'd happen!? Also, it's still coming home! 

I Passed My Driving Test


I couldn't talk about my highlights of 2021 without mentioning the fact that I FINALLY passed my driving test! If you've been reading my blog for a while then you'll know that this has been a goal of mine for years and although there were a few delays because of covid, July saw me finally complete my goal. It was one of the proudest days of my life and I still can't believe I did it!

A Weekend Trip To London


In August, I hopped on a train and took a little trip to London to visit Liv. I stayed with her for the weekend and we had such a wonderful time; she took me around the capital city and introduced me to so many places that I'd never seen before, including a few hidden gems. I took my first trip to the quirky Camden Market, went to see Cinderella at the Gillian Lynne Theatre which was incredible, finally saw St Pauls Cathedral, spent an afternoon in Hyde Park and took in the breathtaking sights of London from the Sky Garden. We also ate in the cutest Italian restaurant called Circolo Popolare; not only was the food delicious, but the interior was a dream. It was such a gorgeous break and so wonderful to spend time with one of my best friends, London is such a lovely city! 

More Theatre Trips


Once the theatres re-opened I made an active effort to go and watch as many shows as I could. In September Mum and I went to see Hairspray which was absolutely brilliant. It was my second time seeing the show and I just love it, it's such a timeless, feel-good musical! Then in October Mum, Mambly and I went to see All Swinging All Singing and we had the best time. An evening of music from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jr, seriously what's not to love!? 

Saints Got The Three-Peat! 


As things slowly started to get back to normal, Dad and I returned to spending our Friday evenings at the rugby cheering on the Saints. I can't tell you how good it felt to be back in that West Stand cheering, chanting and singing with our friends. For the third year in a row, Saints made it to the Grand Final and  after a very close game they won! The second team in super league to win three grand final titles in a row; what a season, what a team! I can't wait for the new season to start! 

JLS: Reunion Tour


After two cancelled shows, November finally saw us attend the reunion tour we've all been waiting for.  My friend Cyde and I went to see JLS at the M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool and we had such a fun evening. It's crazy to think that JLS were my first ever concert 10 years ago and now I'm 24 years old and still waving my hands in the air to Everybody In Love (and still doing the choreography to She Makes Me Wanna!). The night was basically one big throwback and I loved every second, I felt 16 again. Now everybody say JLS, forever! 

Birmingham Christmas Markets


At the end of November Mum and I went on a festive adventure to Birmingham to explore the Christmas Markets. Obviously we couldn't visit Birmingham without having a 'quick browse' around the biggest Primark store in the country, and when I say 'quick browse' I mean two hours and two huge shopping bags later. Then we wandered through the Christmas Markets and ended our day by eating doughnuts and drinking mulled wine in one of the small festive huts dotted around the Markets. I've never been to Birmingham Christmas Markets before and it's safe to say that I'll definitely be going back, they're absolutely gorgeous; you could literally be anywhere in the world. It was a festive wonderland! 

Family & Friends


As I said, 2021 has been another crazy year and I know part of my achievements are credit to the constant love and support from my family and friends. I don't think I'll ever be able to describe how truly grateful I am to have such loving, supportive, beautiful people around me. Whenever I want to give up or I start to doubt myself, they remind me why I started in the first place and push me to be the best person I can be. 

It's been such a joy to be able to have wonderful experiences with them this year; from visiting different places with Mum, spending nights at the rugby with Dad, going to the theatre with Mambly, having plenty of walks and cuddles with Buster and of course, the bottomless brunches with the girls. They are the highlight of my year; the happiest moments are because of them. 

Overall it's been a year of two halves; the first seeing us back in lockdown, the second filled with happy memories, achievements and success; a year to be proud of myself. I conquered my driving fears and finally passed my driving test, I bought my first car and I worked on becoming the best version of myself. I'm incredibly grateful to have had such a lovely year and I'm thankful that my family, friends and I are entering 2022 healthy and happy! Let's make 2022 an amazing one! 

Wishing you all a very healthy and happy new year! Here's hoping that 2022 is another wonderful year filled with success, love and a little sprinkle of pixie dust! 

Lots of Love,
Meg x


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig