3 June 2015

Exams Don't Define You

I know a lot of young people are stressed about exams at the moment; whether that be GCSE's, A-Levels or University Exams. I'm currently in Year 13 and in the middle of my A-Level exams, hoping to get into University next year. It's a stressful time as there's so much pressure to do well but it's important to remember that your exam results don't define YOU as a person. 

Most nights, I stay behind at College because I work better when there's no one around. As I was sat working, I overheard some students talking about how they'd completely failed one of their exams. They were almost in tears because they were under the impression that they wouldn't get into University and it got me thinking about how messed up our education system is.

When you think about it, you can do 500 hours of revision but nothing can 100% prepare you for the exam. A student could be the greatest writer in the world but place them in an English exam and they could get a grade E. It doesn't mean they can't write, not at all. Exams are not everyone's strong point. A student may have taken a subject that is practical based in order to express themselves creatively, how are they meant to do that in an exam?

Exams are getting harder which doesn't help matters

I love to read and when it came to picking my a-levels, I chose English Literature. Being an aspiring author and also loving to read, you realise how much of a messed up subject this is. When I read a book, and the author says 'The room was painted green' I automatically think of a green room, not 'Oh, this represents her love of nature'. It's completely pointless. And the fact that the students aren't allowed to take any form of the book into the exam with them, therefore having to remember quotes, is ridiculous. When did this turn into a memory test? Remembering quotes from a book is not going to get me anywhere in life.

Your exams don't define your future. Even if you fail one exam, it doesn't mean you're any worse of a human being, or that you're rubbish at that particular subject.

Everything happens for a reason.

Good Luck in your Exams!
Lots of Love,
Meg
xxx


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig