11 October 2016

Facing Your Fears

I didn't really intend to write this blog post today, but it's something that I've been thinking a lot about so I thought I'd ramble about it on here. Today I overcame one of my biggest fears which was going to the dentist. I know a lot of people are scared of dentists but I couldn't even put one foot in the door without having some form of breakdown. However, today I managed to go into the dentist, have a filling and come out without any harm and I was SO proud of myself. 

The Dentist is one of my biggest fears but not my only fear. As I am a very nervous person and tend to think bad in most situations, I am scared of a lot and as I have gotten older I've started to realise how much this limits me and the experiences I could be having. My fears include, but are not limited too: flying, travelling, roller-coasters, dentists, hospitals, needles, spiders, confrontation, loneliness and death. The last one was a little morbid but we're getting extremely deep with this blog post. 

As I said, today I conquered one of my biggest fears and managed to go for some treatment at the Dentist. My Dentist was so lovely and I really don't know what I got myself so worked up over. I think it was a case of the unknown; I didn't know what to expect so therefore had created a vision of what it would be like when in reality, it was nothing like that at all. The reason I had the courage to go to the dentist was because I realised that in order to overcome my fear of dentists, and the dreaded numbing injection, I would have to go and experience it for myself. I can honestly say that I would have no problem going to the dentist again; I think it's really important to go to a dentist that you get along with and that your trust. 

In order to aim to overcome some of my biggest fears, and combat my anxiety, I have decided to attempt to do the things that scare me the most. In order to beat my travel anxiety, I travel into Uni everyday on the train and as we all know I've booked a Disney holiday. I already know it's going to be a challenge for me to do these things (and I apologise to Chloe because she has to cope with me) but I'm so determined to not be scared anymore. 

I've come to the conclusion that I'm bored of living my life in fear of things. I don't want to let anything limit me from following my dreams. I need to have the courage to overcome the things that limit me; in the words of Pan 'Be Brave and Never Grow Up'. 

I'll be honest, I just wanted to let y'all know that I made it through the dentist and I'm super proud of myself. So if you have a phobia of dentists then I believe that you can do it, if I can do it (and I'm a complete wimp) then so can you! The only way you're going to overcome your fears is by grabbing them and telling them that they're not going to get the better of you. 

Lots of Love,
Meg


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig